Powered by Blogger.

so far, I'm still alive


My lunch actually wasn't as depressing as I thought it was going to be.

In fact, it was good. And I didn't feel like I was going to go into a food coma afterward. (Added bonus: I picked up a package of Salad Booster and sprinkled it on the greens, which resulted in a serious serving of awesome. Salad Booster is a great way to add more flavor and nutrients -- I completely recommend it!)

So I think I'm going to try the gluten-free thing for a week and see how I feel. If I notice a significant difference, I may stick with it -- although I don't think I can stop eating wheat products completely. I'll probably avoid gluten on weekdays and in most homecooked meals, but then allow myself to eat what I want if I go out to eat on the weekend. I'm also curious to see how the new diet will affect my training. Several people have told me that going gluten-free has made their joint pain disappear completely; I wonder if this will help my hip issues.

Speaking of running, I braved 30-degree temperatures and a headwind and went back to the track this morning -- first time in about a month! We did a fartlek workout -- 20 minutes of consecutive running with timed "on" periods at 5K pace and "off" periods at 10K pace (although mine was more like recovery shuffle pace). While I am still the slowest runner out there by far (got lapped twice this morning -- ouch), it felt really good to be doing speedwork again.

No comments