Powered by Blogger.

pie!


Yesterday we stumbled across perhaps the most exciting thing that's ever happened in Chickenland: A brand-new restaurant that serves nothing but pie.

It's called -- appropriately -- the Petaluma Pie Company and offers both sweet and savory options.

I cannot even begin to explain how thrilled I am about the availability of savory hand pies. They're not easy to find. Since discovering them and falling completely in love with them in Australia several years ago, I've only had them twice -- once when we were in Portland and again at a pub in Santa Rosa.

Neither of those experiences compares to the goodness that comes from the Petaluma Pie Company. Yesterday we ate the wild mushroom pie, and I swear, I almost swooned. Tonight we had the cheese and onion (above), and I was once again delighted.

These pies are absolutely heavenly. I don't know what's in the crust (maybe crack?), but it is flaky and oh-so-light. It's so hard to make a hand pie like this! The problem with a lot of the pub pies is that they tend to be dense. Also, I think most of them are frozen and reheated instead of made fresh on site. But the pies from Petaluma Pies are so airy that they're almost dangerous -- I could probably easily scarf down five in one sitting.

We're looking forward to trying the sweet pies next time.

No comments