Powered by Blogger.

there's more to tassie


… than the devil.

There is food. And a huge emphasis on organics and eating local. The produce is amazing. (What I love is that it’s summertime here in the Southern Hemisphere, so I am eating fresh tomatoes in February!) The seafood is unbelievable (best scallops I’ve ever experienced, and there are so many types of fish that I have never heard of before, like blue-eye trevalla, which I had tonight). I’m also discovering Australian cuisine is heavily influenced by Asia. Last night we went to Stillwater in Launceston for a five-course tasting dinner, and several of the courses were takes on sushi or noodles, used soy and ginger, and were designed to be eaten with chopsticks.

Then there is the Tasmanian honey, which is legendary. I find it very herbaceous and fragrant – like you can smell it through the roof of your mouth as you’re eating it. And the Tassie fudge – don’t even get me started! I had to force myself to eat just one piece today and no more.

But my absolute favorite so far are the pies. Aussies make these savory mini pies with flaky crust that are filled with everything from curried chicken to lamb to “chunky steak.” Seriously, I could eat these pies for days. I am absolutely obsessed with them. If only I could figure out a way to smuggle them back to the U.S.!

No comments