Powered by Blogger.

touchdown cupcakes


I'm not a fan of football, but I'm a fan of eating. Which is why I'm going to a Super Bowl party tomorrow. What can I say? They promised me nachos. Lots and lots of nachos.

And a party is always a great reason to bake a batch of cupcakes. I took a stab at a different chocolate cupcake recipe today. While my previous chocolate cupcake recipe included sour cream, melted chocolate and water as ingredients, this one emphasized cocoa and instant coffee, and called for milk as the liquid.

I have to say that I prefer the recipe I followed today. The overall consistency of the batter was better -- it was actually like batter, not like mousse. These cupcakes also rose beautifully -- resulting in the soft, rounded pillows that I love so much. And while the chocolate flavor wasn't as intense as in the previous recipe, adding coffee gave the cocoa a nice deep, rich flavor, which I like quite a bit.

However, I strayed from the recipe when it came to the frosting. Instead of doing a coconut buttercream as suggested, I made a coffee buttercream -- my mother's coffee buttercream frosting, to be exact. This is pretty much the formula, although the measurements don't really have to be exact:

Coffee Buttercream Frosting

1-1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup coffee (make it either with instant or use actual coffee that you'd drink)
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

1. Beat butter with an electric mixer until it is softened. Add coffee and blend.
2. Slowly add powdered sugar until the frosting reaches a consistency you can use in a piping bag.
Note: If you want more coffee flavor, just add more coffee. And if you want stiffer frosting, add more powdered sugar. If the frosting gets too stiff, add a teeny bit of milk.

Finally, I used a cheese grater to shave some chocolate and dusted the cupcakes with it. Et voilà!

No comments