Powered by Blogger.

on missed workouts


It's only Week 2 of marathon training, and already I have missed two workouts -- the first because we were out of town over the weekend at a wedding in Atwater (see the tractor/ice bucket photo above) and it was too hot to run there and we didn't get home in time to run here, and the second because I drank too much coffee today (so stupid of me -- I know I am horrible with caffeine and I shouldn't have done that) and was sick to my stomach and so dizzy I had to take a motion sickness pill and lie on the couch. (Seriously, I am barely functioning right now.)

It's hard not to feel guilty about this. I constantly have to remind myself it's not the end of the world: Missing a workout here or there doesn't mean I'm going to fail miserably in Portland.

Some things I am focusing on to assuage the guilt:

  1. Rest is part of training.
  2. It's still early in the training cycle.
  3. I haven't missed any long runs, which are key to marathon preparation.
  4. It's better to be undertrained than overtrained, since overtraining puts you at risk of injury, which results in even more missed workouts.
  5. And perhaps most important of all: Lying here in bed right now, trying not to move my head, is much better and less nightmarish than forcing myself to run and possibly vomiting or passing out in the street somewhere.

No comments