Powered by Blogger.

dining alone


isn't as awful as you may think. I do it often. At lunch, nearly every day during the week. At brunch, today. I sat at the counter, next to a gay couple who kept ordering Ramos Fizzes and talking about the furniture they were planning to buy. The man closest to me glanced often at the pain au chocolat. "I want that," he said but ordered eggs and bacon instead. His partner chose the polenta.

I had the quiche and some coffee. A peanut butter cup from the pastry case to finish the meal off. ("How was that?" the man next to me said. "Good," I said. "But not as sweet as Reese's, which makes sense.")

When you are alone, the bartender is nicer to you. The servers ask you how you are doing. When you are alone, there is no need to eat slowly or order only a salad. There is no need to look anyone in the eye.

Still, I admit it: Alone is a challenge. Especially when there are no books or magazines to read. And you can only balance your checkbook so often and type on your handheld so much.

It is hard when there is nothing to hide behind.

No comments