Powered by Blogger.

return to running

Good news: Mari seems to be feeling better and is no longer trying to pee every five minutes. Also, I ran this morning for the first time in 13 weeks.

I've been walking without pain for at least a month now, and I got the OK from the doctor earlier this week to start running again. So I decided to test out the foot today with a few easy walk-run laps at the track. My plan:

800 walking warmup followed by dynamic stretching
4 x 400 running the straights, walking the curves
400 walking cool down

It went well -- no pain during the workout, and only slight soreness afterward. (But not in the same spot as the injury pain, so I think this might just be my foot getting used to moving again -- I've lost some mobility and flexibility, and my left leg is weaker than my right and slightly atrophied.) And it felt fantastic to be out there -- even though the wind was gusting and it started raining sideways toward the end. (Thanks a lot, Seattle.) I kind of had to reel myself in because I just wanted to keep running.

But the best part: Salad Bar went with me, and it was his very first "official" run ever (unless you count the origin of the Salad Bar nickname, but that was ages ago when he was a kid). He wants to make running a regular thing and eventually do a marathon, and since I'm back at the beginning, we figured we'd ease in together. So not only am I running again, but I get to introduce one of my favorite people to one of my favorite things ever. Serious joy.

Bonus points: The post-run breakfast.


I love me a big-ass hashbrown.

1 comment

Layla said...

Hooray! It's a GREAT sign that you had to reel yourself in. You would definitely know if your foot was still fractured, so I'd say that you are good to go (while building back up, of course). This is a great sign for the year of IMAZ!