Powered by Blogger.

I ken ken have ramen

I had to pour at a wine event in San Francisco tonight.


So Todd came with me, and we enjoyed the tasting together. I worked the table, and he did the scouting.


Whenever he found something interesting to taste, he brought a sip back for me. This way, I got to try some sake and some sparkling while still doing my job.

When my shift was over, we headed to The Corner for the Ken Ken Ramen pop-up. (Seriously: I love ramen. I love pop-ups. I love San Francisco. I was pretty much in heaven.)

We started with the seaweed salad, which was absolutely delicious. Fried lotus root? Awesome!


Then our ramen arrived. We both ordered bowls of the shoyu ramen.


The portion size was a little bit smaller in comparison to other bowls I've had, but the ramen was good -- quite possibly my favorite San Francisco ramen so far. The broth was much lighter in texture, but it still had a very strong flavor. I absolutely loved the bamboo shoot (Ken Ken makes its own -- no pre-made strips), and the egg was awesome. I mean, just look at it. Awesome. (Then again, I am one of those people who prefers a runnier egg.)


The pork was OK. It wasn't bad, and the texture was nice -- not altogether melty, but close -- but the flavor was almost too much. I felt like I was tasting more of what the pork had been cooked in than the actual pork itself, if that makes any sense at all.

We finished the meal with some gyoza. (This was supposed to have arrived at the table earlier, but I guess the kitchen was experiencing a gyoza rush, so it got delayed a little.)


The gyoza was good, but I think Jinya's gyoza may have ruined me for life -- the bar is set really high now!

Overall, a fantastic night. And I definitely want to go back to Ken Ken again. There are vegan, miso and shio ramens that I have yet to try!

No comments