Powered by Blogger.

new york, nom nom

I know New York is getting close because I've set all kinds of alarms on my calendar to remind me to call restaurants for reservations. Apparently, a lot of the fancy-pants restaurants in Manhattan won't take reservations any earlier than 28-30 days in advance. And then to actually make the reservation, it's like calling for concert tickets -- you call as soon as the reservation line opens and keep hitting redial until someone picks up the phone. If you're lucky, you'll get through and there will still be tables available.

So where exactly do I plan to eat during this trip?

The pre-marathon dining will be a little tricky, since I'll be cutting out gluten. Thankfully, I stumbled across this article, which lists a number of great places sans wheat. I've also consulted my semi-hipster Manhattanite cousin, who is also gluten-free.

Since Risotteria doesn't take reservations and usually has a ridiculously long wait, my pre-race meal will be at Bistango. (I didn't want to risk eating too late and having digestive issues in the morning.) I'm pretty excited about the menu -- they have gluten-free stuffed pastas! I will actually be able to eat ravioli if I do so desire!

I'm also planning to check out Lilli and Loo. I've never had gluten-free Chinese food -- really curious about the menu options and what everything will taste like.

Of course, once I've crossed the finish line, I plan to completely let loose. And by that, I mean I want to go all-out, no-holds-barred, we're-celebrating-this-mofo, so-stuff-my-face-please. My plan: wd~50 and a little molecular gastronomy action. (Guess what I'll be doing at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning? That's right -- hello, redial button.) If that doesn't work, Annisa is a back-up option. And I've also thought about Eleven Madison Park and Gramercy Tavern (a little more traditional). And folks: If you have other suggestions for the Celebratory Meal to End All Celebratory Meals, please share!

Other restaurants on the list: Anything in the Momofuku group, Dassara (ramen with matzo balls!), Balthazar (largely because I'm sick of people telling me to eat there after they learn what my last name is) and Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles.

I'd also love to return to Ippudo. Here's a little flashback from my last trip there:


Sometimes I think the marathon is really just an excuse to go out there and eat a ridiculous amount of food.

No comments