Powered by Blogger.

a running start


I learned several things during the Resolution Run 5K this morning.

Stuffing my face with Brillat Savarin last night was a terrible idea. The cheese hangover is a vicious beast: Crazy cramps and a strong urge to either puke or crap my pants 2.5 miles in. (This was then followed by even more cramping and actual pooping -- thankfully, not in my pants -- for hours post-race.)

I do not ever want to be one of those parents who makes my 9-year-old child run a 5K with me and then hounds him the entire time, yelling out Garmin stats and statements such as "You're running too slow!" or "You need an 8-minute mile!" Meanwhile, the poor kid looks like he's suffering from -- you guessed it -- a cheese hangover.

A 5K is hard because it feels like an all-out sprint for 3.1 miles. Which, when coupled with the cheese hangover and the fact that I am ridiculously out of shape (I was gasping for breath and getting passed by people running with their dogs -- awesome), is its own special kind of torture.

Despite the morning's challenges, my Garmin said I finished in 27:30, with an 8:54 average pace. Splits:

Mile 1 8:43
Mile 2 9:03
Mile 3 8:59
497 feet at an 8:06 pace

At least I know what I have to work on in the coming months. Hello, 2012.

2 comments

derrick said...

Hahaha!! Here's to better pooing in 2012! You friend are going to have a great year...Can't wait to follow along for the ride. Crossing my fingers to join you in NYC!

Michaela said...

I really, really want you to come to New York with me! There is much ramen to be eaten!