Powered by Blogger.

I'm melting


It is 87 degrees in the house right now. Eighty-freaking-seven degrees. Indoors. And it's after 10 p.m.

I am sitting here with an ice pack stuffed into my shirt.

This is the ultimate rosé weather -- pink wine is the perfect refreshment. In fact, I poured at the annual SF rosé tasting Tuesday. The event is pretty interesting -- while there are some producers (like us) who show up year after year, many of the wines are ones I've never heard of or tried before.

Case in point: The Solms Wijn de Caab 2006 "Lekkerwijn" Rosé from South Africa. I've never had anything like it -- the blend was 42 percent Viognier, 39 percent Mourvèdre and 19 percent Grenache. The Viognier gave the wine such a fleshy mouthfeel -- not syrupy or sweet by any means, but definitely weightier -- kind of like what Semillon does in a dry white Bordeaux. I liked it. A lot. It made me want food.

And it left me wondering: How often is Viognier used in rosé? I feel like Mourvèdre and Grenache are pretty common, but I personally have never seen Viognier in a blend before.

Thoughts, anyone?

No comments