Powered by Blogger.

finally, I can spill it


It is absolutely lovely when two of your best friends get engaged, when they are giddy and kissing and holding hands at the table. This is how they must have been when they first met, you think.

You knew it was coming for at least a week beforehand. You were told to keep it a secret. You thought maybe you would explode. But you didn't. And it happened. And you feel like, somehow, you were involved, you were an accomplice.

My co-worker thinks a Christmas proposal is silly. She says it's routine, everyone expects it.

But I disagree. Because of the lights. And this city. And the way we surround ourselves this time of year: Tonight, I will put on my red coat and sit at a table with my family. Maybe we will talk about this year, what we did and didn't do. Maybe we will make plans for what comes next. Or maybe we will just be, and savor.

No comments