Powered by Blogger.

12 months of eating


We discussed resolutions: Who makes them, if the promises are kept, if it's worth bothering to resolve in the first place. We thought, Maybe you have a greater chance of success if you only make one resolution instead of several. Or, Maybe you should resolve not to do something that you already don't do on a regular basis, so success is guaranteed.

But I like lists. And I like using the New Year as a reason to do things I have always wanted to do but haven't yet. Last year, I resolved to go to 10 restaurants I have been dying to check out. Surprisingly, I actually made it to seven of them.

My favorites were #7 Underwood and #2 south; I foresee return visits in 2009 and beyond. Water Street Bistro at #10 was pretty good too -- great food, except for the tiny pebble Todd found in his soup, which the server apologized profusely for -- almost to the point where we felt bad for bringing it up. Of course, Gary Danko -- my #4 -- was good, but really expensive, and if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I much prefer Cyrus for its creativity, warmth and impeccable service. Blue at #6 didn't knock my socks off, and Peter Lowell's at #5 had tasty food, but a really awkward atmosphere. And Mister Magoo's at #8 was just ... well ... um, interesting and sort of "dusty," to put it nicely.

Which leaves Quince, Azteca Market and Lolita's Market still to explore.

So what of 2009? On the to-eat list:

1. Quince: Goddammit, I still really want to dine here.

2. Taqueria Santa Rosa: One of the Wine Center chefs told me this is the best burrito in Santa Rosa. I am on a quest for the best burrito in Santa Rosa, and so help me, I vow to find it.

3. Avatar's Punjab Burritos: I've been hearing about this restaurant ever since I moved to the Bay Area five years ago (holy crap -- has it really been that long?), and I have no idea why I haven't tried it yet. Burritos and Indian food are two of my most favorite things in the world.

4. Nick's Crispy Tacos: Another one that I still haven't been to. What the hell is wrong with me?

5. Healdsburg Bar & Grill: They have truffle fries. And the Cyrus people are involved.

6. Diavola Pizzeria & Salumeria: It's a salumeria! Bury me in cured meat goodness! Please!

7. Ume Japanese Bistro: It's close to work, and sometimes I have intense sushi and miso soup cravings.

8. Kara's Cupcakes: The San Francisco cupcakery comes to Napa any day now. I am counting down.

9. Divine Delights: OK. So you can't actually dine here because it's more of a retail shop than a restaurant. But these petits fours are supposed to be lovely.

10. Bottega: I like what Michael Chiarello has done with the casual stuff -- I spent quite a bit of lunch money at NapaStyle Paninoteca & Wine Bar when I was still at CDV (killer Panzanella, seriously). I'd like to see what his fancy-pants food is like.

No comments