Powered by Blogger.

caught on film


And now I will torture you with a [sideways] video of me swimming.

Yes, I hate watching it as much as you do.

But here's the thing: When I'm swimming, I have no idea what I look like. I can't really tell what I'm doing wrong. So the video -- as painful as it is -- is extremely helpful. And even though I'm no expert, I can already see the following:

  • I roll too much to the side to breathe. This is inefficient.
  • When my head is in the water, it's pretty much totally submerged. I have a strong feeling this is not ideal.
  • If you watch the other swimmers behind me, their stroke turnover is much faster.
  • What the hell is my left arm doing?

Despite my flawed technique, I'm easily swimming a mile in the pool, and it takes me about 45 minutes. This, coupled with my recent redemption at Napa HITS, makes me feel slightly more comfortable about attempting an Olympic distance tri in, oh, three days.

Key word: Slightly.

No comments