Powered by Blogger.

commence freakout

My plan was to go to bed early since I have to be at work at 4:45 a.m. tomorrow. (Yes, this is another project that involves a camera crew. Only this time I spend my day standing in a hot, dusty field, wearing a walkie-talkie and directing foot traffic. But it will be worth it in the end. And wearing a walkie-talkie is kind of cool. Trust me.)

Anyway, so I was about to go to bed. And then I checked my e-mail and saw this:


Crap.

Let me just briefly list the reasons I am freaking out right now:

  1. Race day is less than two weeks away.
  2. I haven't done a single brick workout.
  3. In fact, I haven't run in three weeks. (Don't ask. Talking about not running makes me want to start crying.)
  4. Nor have I biked more than eight miles. (And when I did that, I rear-ended my friend at a stoplight in front of a lot of people and it was embarrassing.) And just for the record: Spin class doesn't count.
  5. I'm easily swimming the half-mile distance (and getting faster each time I do it), but I haven't done it in open water. With people kicking me in the face. And a whole wave of male triathletes threatening to swim over me if I don't get out of the way fast enough.
  6. I've developed a new (and ridiculous) fear: What if someone barfs during the swim and I swim into it? With my mouth open?
  7. Also, the triathlon participant letter included three pages of rules. If my brain hasn't already exploded from worrying about all of the above, trying to decipher exactly what it is I'm supposed to do on race morning (not to mention pack -- dear god, triathlons involve clothing changes!) is definitely going to make my mind spin.

Seriously: What was I thinking when I signed up for this?

2 comments

Layla said...

I can't calm all of your freak-outs, but regarding number 6, have you ever heard of someone barfing while swimming? I have NOT. The swim is when everyone is fresh and ready to go do a triathlon, so they're not in the dying phase yet. If they're going to barf, it will happen on the run, where you can easily dodge the puddles of nastiness. Unless you're trying to lick the ground for some reason, in which case I can't help you.

Breathe. You'll survive.

Michaela said...

I actually met a guy last week who told me he threw up mid-swim. It happens.