Powered by Blogger.

starstruck


Yeah, I know. I'm a huge nerd (who apparently has an abnormally large arm and very big teeth, at least in this photo). And this Aspen thing isn't helping. I basically went from table to table, drooling over all of the "Top Chef" contestants at tonight's welcome reception. (And yes, Paul Qui's take on elote was my favorite. But then again, I'm totally biased.)

So you're probably wondering: With all of this travel (and the accompanying eating and drinking), how the hell am I managing to train?

It's been tricky, but I'm making it work. Traveling has actually rekindled my love of running (as you know, the bike and the swim have been a bit of a distraction lately). Running is hands down the best way to explore a new place and find beautiful things. I ran twice in Oregon -- once in the mountains, where my route looked like this:


And again along the waterfront in Portland, which was an adventure. I got stuck on the opposite riverbank for about 15 minutes because the drawbridge had to be raised for three boats. (I can't tell you how much I wish I had brought my camera.) But man, it was fun being out there!

Then yesterday in Denver I found an absolutely fantastic gym right around the corner from the hotel. (This place was like going to a spa -- pristine, with unbelievable amenities. I took two showers, no joke.) I bought a day pass -- only $15 -- and made good use of their pool, which was indoors and saline instead of chlorine (so fantastic -- chlorine always gives me a sneeze attack). I swam a mile in 55 minutes -- my fastest time yet for that distance. And then I took a spin class where the teacher focused on intervals -- a really good challenge, especially at altitude. Loved it. And I rolled out and did some bridging exercises to strengthen my butt and hammies.

Tomorrow the plan is to wake up early and run. I don't think I will make it too far -- Aspen is at 8,000 feet, and I was out of breath just walking back to my room tonight. But I do want to get out there and push myself. If I'm going to be way the hell up here, I might as well take advantage of it and get some high-altitude training!

And yes, I've even found a pool up here. And spin classes. And yoga. Can't wait to try it all out!

No comments