Powered by Blogger.

cat rant, part II


I'll admit it: I am one of those people.

I leave two-page, single-spaced, typed instructions for my neighbor when she watches the cats while I am on vacation. I include vet information, as well as my trip itinerary, so she knows exactly what to do and where to reach me, should anything happen. To thank her for watching my cats, I bring home organic treats for her cat. (I also give her a lot of wine. It pays to watch my cats.)

I go to pet stores and wander the aisles, reading the back labels of all the food packages. Without fail, someone always asks me if I need help. And then I make it a point to complain when the food I like to buy is out of stock. (By the way, you will never, ever catch me in the pet food aisle at the grocery store. Blech.)

I also get really annoyed because most boutique pet stores here in San Francisco are devoted to dogs. The ratio of dog-cat items in these stores is usually 9-1. I don't understand this. I think cat owners are just as obsessive as dog owners and would love the opportunity to buy fancy-pants pet stuff for their cats. In fact, I spent a good hour online the other day looking for a silly collar for Meep that doesn't have a bell dangling from it because he hates bells and wants to eat himself when he wears one. And the only collar I found is from the U.K. Hello, American designers! Where are you?

I also cook for my cats. Because it bothers me when I eat really amazing food, and they have to eat bowls full of hard, dry pellets. I own this book. And I don't care what you think of me.

And finally, yes, I am throwing Meep a birthday party this week. The theme? Sushi.

No comments