Powered by Blogger.

the plan


My weakness is Sauternes. I have been known to order only a side salad for a main course, just so I can ensure I will have enough room for dessert and the appropriate accompanying dessert wine. (Is there anything more wonderful than that pale amber liquid?)

The ultimate in Sauternes is, without a doubt, the 1976 vintage from Chateau d'Yquem. (Coincidentally, 1976 is also his birth year. My favorite wine and my favorite man -- this is fate.)

The closest I have ever come to this legendary wine is finding bottles listed through several different retailers for anywhere from $750 to $800 for a 750 ml. (Which I always considered too expensive, but which I now think is perhaps completely reasonable, especially since I more than willingly shelled out $879 for veterinary costs last weekend when Meep fell out the window.)

But two friends were lucky enough to taste the nectar at Gary Danko about a week ago and concluded it was a life-altering experience. (I believe it was $1,500 a bottle on the wine list; a very rich and extremely wasteful patron had ordered the bottle and failed to finish it, so our friends -- who always manage to befriend the waitstaff -- received the coveted leftovers. They regret only that they forgot to ask for the empty bottle -- the trophy.)

And last night, while we were dining at Isa (fabulous food, especially if it's a dish with truffles, but the clientele is atrocious and I hate the Marina because it makes me feel both homicidal and suicidal at the same time and also frumpy and angry that I feel frumpy because then that means the wannabe yuppie scum have succeeded), we came up with The Plan:

The four of us will buy that $800 bottle of 76 Yquem. And we will drink it with foie gras and a fabulous dessert.

And it will be The Ultimate Experience.

I think this is the best plan ever. I have already begun contacting retailers to find the best deal on the Liquid Treasure. I cannot, cannot wait.

Now ... who can tell me where the best place to obtain foie gras is? And what about the perfect dessert? Hints and suggestions for Sauternes pairing?

No comments