Powered by Blogger.

strategizing


I drove the Windsor Green course on my lunch break today. I know I've run this race before, and rural Windsor is one of my favorite road-running routes, but I still felt compelled to do some recon and mark every hill firmly in my mind. (Also, work has been so stressful lately that I just needed to get out and focus on something else besides budgeting for the next fiscal year.)

This is the elevation I'll be dealing with:


Not too bad. One gradual climb at Mile 5. Some smallish rollers throughout. And a flat finish. (Which will be nice because the two hills at the end of the Santa Barbara Wine Country race are what I think killed my sub-2 finish there.)

My strategy for Sunday (assuming, of course, the world doesn't end): Run with people who will challenge me. I'm meeting my friend Matt, who runs about an 8:40 pace, and our plan is to try to stick together the entire time. I've never run with him before, so I have no idea what this will be like, but he says he's a talker and will keep me entertained for all 13.1 miles.

Based on my splits from Santa Barbara (and yes, I realize I still haven't written my race report or posted photos of aebleskivers), I think I'll be able to keep up with him. I just need to make sure I'm warmed up properly first and that everything is in working order -- good diet, rested legs, etc.

And so the countdown continues.

No comments