Powered by Blogger.

I never stay up this late


So I am in Vegas, wearing pajamas, an overcoat and too much eye makeup. I arrived today. I already poured at one wine event, and tomorrow I am meeting with media and pouring at two more tastings.

Best word to describe the trip so far: Random.

Why?

1. I am walking to the pool. Suddenly, I am being followed by a man in a bright (bright!) yellow shirt who is in town for the Century 21 conference. He is still wearing his conference badge. He tries to hold doors open for me. It is 80-plus degrees outside. He keeps saying, "This is a long walk. I might give up." In my head, I am thinking, Please give up. Please. When the pool attendants ask if we are together or separate, I say "separate" and walk away quickly.

2. Tonight's wine tasting is held at the UNLV Cox Pavilion. So basically, a basketball court. One girl shows up in a shirt that says "Beer Drinking Team." She doesn't like my wines. Another woman is in a bustier and a collar.

3. A woman with a "Bride to Be" ribbon pinned to her shirt walks up to my table. I make the mistake of congratulating her. This opens the floodgates. I now know exactly what her dress looks like, exactly how much her makeup/hair/mani/pedi will cost, exactly how many people will be at her wedding and exactly what time they arrived at the airport tonight, requiring her and her future husband to pick them up. But this is not so bad because she gave me a ride back to my hotel, thereby sparing me the cab fare, and she also rescued a one-eyed dog from doggy death row, which makes me insanely happy and convinced that despite the wedding hoopla, she is really a good person.

4. I befriend a couple about my age. He is a woodworker, bartender and former go-go dancer (hell yes) who invented a drink called the Dirty Sanchez (think Irish Car Bomb but made with Mexican liquors). She has a law degree but wants to go into the wine industry. We meet for drinks after the tasting. We end up at a high-end strip club, where a bunch of winery folks are also hanging out. Three drinks costs us $44. There is no stripper pole, but there is a lot of lap-dancing. We leave and get fried food at the Palms. I make them promise to visit me in Napa.

No comments