Powered by Blogger.

cinco de mayo


We had a party at work today. The vineyard crew foreman used to own a restaurant/catering business, so he and his wife did the cooking. It was absolutely amazing. The best guacamole I have ever had. And the pork tacos in warm corn tortillas? Heavenly -- meaty goodness all the way. (So much for being mostly vegetarian. I have fallen so far off the wagon that it's nothing but a little speck on the horizon now.)

The party was supposed to be an immigrant party. Which makes sense, what with all the recent protests regarding immigration reform, and also because we're a winery and pretty much everyone is from another part of the world, including me.

Which (in a very roundabout way) leads me to my question: What exactly is American food? Is there an authentic American cuisine that wasn't heavily influenced by another culture? I don't want to think of American food as McDonald's and KFC. But is that really what it is?

No comments