Powered by Blogger.

today I slept in


Taking the day off today. Last week was nuts -- lots going on in wine country. On Wednesday, I went to what many people consider the most exclusive party in Napa.

And it was insane, as you can see from this photo. (Yes, that's really a gelato bar made entirely out of ice.) Everyone who is anyone in the wine industry was there. (Even Robert Mondavi -- yes, the Robert Mondavi -- was there.) And everyone brought magnums to share. So I got to try some really hard-to-find wines -- Opus One (I'll admit -- I was skeptical about this wine because of all the hype, but this is a damn good wine -- tastes very much like a French Bordeaux), Phelps Insignia (which I actually have a bottle of here at home and which I am so glad I have a bottle of because this is also a damn good wine), Shafer Merlot, Orin Swift's The Prisoner (which is the hot thing right now -- lots of people rave over this), Ridge (love them) and some Gevrey Chambertin.

Tasting all of these wines was definitely the best part about the evening. Mostly, I felt out of place at the party -- everyone knew each other and there was a lot of hugging and cheek-kissing. (There was also a lot of really bad fashion -- so bad that I actually heard someone say: "Obviously, the fashion police are not at this event." Ha!) But I am so new to all of this, plus I'm not exactly Napa A-list (the only reason I got into this party was because I went as my boss's guest). Anyway, it was an experience.

No comments