Powered by Blogger.

looks like bubble gum


Smells like bubble gum.

But tastes like a tart raspberry soda, complete with spritz.

This is the Ameztoi Rubentis 2006 Rosé. It's from Basque country -- the appellation is Getariako Txakolina.

Don't ask me how to pronounce that. I've never even heard of it until just now. This wine was a birthday gift from Jessica, and I decided to open it while waiting for dinner to finish cooking. (We're having black-eyed peas and chard over brown rice with a side of panko-crusted squash. Yummy vegetarian goodness. I thought a Rosé would be a nice pairing.)

This is my first brush with Basque wine, and I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about it -- the taste and texture is just so different from anything I've experienced before. Apparently, this wine is made with the grape varieties Hondarribi Beltza and Hondarribi Zuri, which are native to the region ("beltza" means red and "zuri" means white), and from what I've seen online so far, it seems like they are the only grapes in this particular appellation.

Anyway, enough musing. The food is here. Time to eat!

No comments