Powered by Blogger.

I might have to reconsider religion


We had a hot date last night. In Chickenland, this can only mean an evening at the Sonoma-Marin Fair.

We saw Cheap Trick (headline entertainers -- free with fair admission!), played a carnival game (I won), shared a deep-fried Twinkie on a stick (it sounds gross, but this creation is pure genius, trust me), touched a Kenyan sand boa at the reptile exhibit (this also sounds gross but it wasn't) and admired the 4-H swine (which were so cute that I now feel guilty about my barbecue obsession).

But the best part was the community competitions. I love the weirdness of the contest categories, like the table-setting competition, for example. (And of course, a first-place ribbon went to the Fourth of July-themed table. Chickenlandians are apparently very patriotic.) There's also the scrapbooking competition, the "best collection" competition (one entry was a glass case full of cat figurines -- love it) and numerous art competitions, from ceramics to watercolor to photography.

And since this year's fair theme is "Grape Expectations," some of the artwork incorporated wine-related images and items.

Like corks. Arranged by 5-year-olds to represent specific scenes, such as "Camping" and "Car Racing."

Or, say, "Jesus and His Followers."

Which makes perfect sense. Because that's exactly what I think of when I open a bottle of wine: "Hallelujah -- I am saved!"

No comments