Powered by Blogger.

yes, for real


Wow. And wow.

On New Year's Eve, Brian had a dinner party. Actually, let me rephrase that. On New Year's Eve, Brian had a dinner event. When we arrived, he showed us the menu, which was framed and written in French. And each dish was accompanied by an exquisite wine.

And I almost wet my pants when I saw what was on the wine list: 1976 Château d'Yquem.

Sauternes is hands down my favorite wine; if I were a cat, it would make me purr. I have a very a small collection at home -- some 01 Château de Malle, 01 Castelnau de Suduiraut, etc. And I would like to save up to buy the 01 Yquem eventually. (Although I should move quickly, because I heard prices are already at $500 for a 750 ml!)

But the 76 Yquem is the stuff of legends.

1976 is The Year. And Yquem is The Producer. And obtaining a bottle of the 76 Yquem was The Dream.

I cannot even begin to explain The Joy that was my New Year's Eve.

First, we had the wine with two kinds of pâté (goose and duck). Then, several courses later, the Yquem returned for a dessert pairing.

The wine was phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. It had this beautiful golden, honey-toned color. And it was the most balanced wine I have ever experienced -- everything about it was perfect. It just coated my mouth -- the entry was like liquid creme brulee, but not overly sweet or syrupy or alcoholic -- just absolutely, perfectly balanced. And the finish went on and on and on ... with a whisper of floral notes at the very end. And you got the impression that even though this was a 30-year-old wine, it would still be good for many more years to come.

Unforgettable.

What a start to the New Year: There we were, five of us, gathered around a table in Brian's studio apartment, watching the ball drop on TV, each of us holding a glass of the most beautiful wine ever.

If this is any indication of what's to come, 2007 is going to be good.

No comments