Powered by Blogger.

in our genes


Home at last, though exhausted and sick. But so thankful to finally be home.

The weekend was long and intense: Three days straight of Catholic mourning. And not just any Catholic mourning -- Filipino Catholic mourning, which seems to be much more rigorous -- like an ultramarathon of grief. I have never heard the rosary prayed so many times. There was also a novena that had the phrases "gnawing worm," "bloody sweat," "horrible darkness" and "intolerable cold." And there were multiple Masses. And public wailing. And four hours of sitting with the open casket.

But it was interesting to hear the stories about my grandmother. Everyone who spoke said something about how much she loved food and how she was always offering it. It truly was the way she communicated. After the viewing Sunday, the whole family went to my grandmother's favorite Chinese restaurant and ordered all the dishes she used to get.

And my cousins and I definitely proved ourselves to be her grandchildren through and through this weekend. On Saturday night, we got some time on our own, so we tracked down the legendary Kogi BBQ truck, whose marriage of Mexican food and Korean barbecue are what many believe to be heaven. I had a short rib taco (which was just as amazing as everyone promised), a Korean tofu taco (I think I am going to crave this for the rest of my life) and a Kogi dog (this was good, but really over-the-top -- check out the photo above -- I think you have to be drunk to truly appreciate it). And then we went to a churro truck a few blocks down the street and got bags of freshly fried churros.

We stuffed ourselves silly. And in a way, it was like she was still feeding us.

4 comments

Michelle Panik said...

What a wonderful post.

So sorry for your loss, Michaela. For me, mourning is slightly less painful with friends and family around.

I will look for a Kogi BBQ truck the next time I'm in LA.

Michaela said...

Thanks, Mich! I appreciate it -- the past few days have been tough.

Definitely look for Kogi when you're in L.A. They have four trucks (I think) and one of them goes to Irvine every once in awhile, too. Their website and Twitter have the schedule each week.

Christina said...

I didn't know this happened to you...I'm sorry for your loss. :(


I like your posts a whole bunch.

And while I was typing this John, a student, came into the room (it's lunch time) and said: "Ms. Harger, Michael said the "F" word."

My response: "Go outside."

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Michaela said...

Thanks, Ms. Harger. I'm sorry I didn't say anything earlier -- funny that it's easier to write about my grandmother than actually tell people what happened!

I miss you.