Powered by Blogger.

moving


At times, I think this city gives gifts. One night, a papier-mâché parrot in the tree in front of our apartment. We laughed and took photos, then left it on its perch because you can't tame a wild thing. Another time, the brief glimpse of a man walking down Market Street with a cat riding on his backpack; I swore the animal smiled. Once, on the way to a play, a $10 bill on the sidewalk; it covered parking and then some.

We are leaving the city. It had to be done. It made sense. We needed space and air and less time spent driving to places with space and air. But I am sad. I've lived here since June 2004, the longest I've ever been in one place. I've been happier here than anywhere else.

But it's time now, time for the next adventure. And I look forward to the gardens we will have, the Mexican bakery around the corner, the yarn store down the street, the green hills and meadows.

I am sure there will be many more gifts.

No comments