However, the term “practice” doesn’t mean I’m freaking out any less. Current sources of stress include:
- It’s going to be 95 degrees and humid on race day.
- Sleeveless wetsuit or sleeves? (Hell, will I even still fit into a wetsuit?)
- Tri bike or road bike? I’ve only ridden Minivan (a.k.a. the tri bike) outside twice so far this season, and neither ride happened recently. My last two rides – including a metric century – were on Muppet (a.k.a. the road bike). However, I want to ride Minivan at Vineman. Or do I? Because Vineman is hilly so maybe I should ride Muppet. And Muppet is from Northern California, so this would be like a homecoming for her. But if I ride Muppet, then why do I own Minivan? Shouldn’t I be racing on Minivan? (I actually woke up at 3 a.m. recently and couldn't go back to sleep because of this.)
- My left knee hurts.
- I feel like I’m about to come down with a cold.
- I have not swum in open water since October.
- The word “swum.” It’s weird, right? Doesn’t it make you feel weird?
- Being embarrassingly slow.
My neuroses is so bad that I told the mister he is not allowed to spectate because I'm certain it's going to be a comedy show, and I don't want him to have to wait around for hours while I muddle through.