Anyway, so I was about to go to bed. And then I checked my e-mail and saw this:
Let me just briefly list the reasons I am freaking out right now:
- Race day is less than two weeks away.
- I haven't done a single brick workout.
- In fact, I haven't run in three weeks. (Don't ask. Talking about not running makes me want to start crying.)
- Nor have I biked more than eight miles. (And when I did that, I rear-ended my friend at a stoplight in front of a lot of people and it was embarrassing.) And just for the record: Spin class doesn't count.
- I'm easily swimming the half-mile distance (and getting faster each time I do it), but I haven't done it in open water. With people kicking me in the face. And a whole wave of male triathletes threatening to swim over me if I don't get out of the way fast enough.
- I've developed a new (and ridiculous) fear: What if someone barfs during the swim and I swim into it? With my mouth open?
- Also, the triathlon participant letter included three pages of rules. If my brain hasn't already exploded from worrying about all of the above, trying to decipher exactly what it is I'm supposed to do on race morning (not to mention pack -- dear god, triathlons involve clothing changes!) is definitely going to make my mind spin.
Seriously: What was I thinking when I signed up for this?