Powered by Blogger.

a cookie in each hand


The first time I ever tried to bake on my own was in high school. My friend Holly and I were at her house, and we decided to make cookies from scratch. She pulled out a recipe (I'm not even really sure where this recipe actually came from), and we went at it.

We were missing some ingredients. I remember we were supposed to put a dollop of jelly or something like that on each cookie. But there was no jelly (and I think we thought it sounded weird anyway), so we skipped that part.

And even though we were winging it and probably also making a huge mess and most likely giggling way too much, those cookies turned out to be damn good -- simple, not too sweet, but with loads of butter. In a word: Addicting.

Since then, Holly's recipe has become my go-to. I've made these cookies throughout the different stages of my life: When I was trying to impress a boyfriend's parents (this was also in high school, and it was kind of a disaster because I didn't use enough butter in the cookies),when I wanted to prove to my mom that I could cook on my own (this was a disaster as well, since she ended up helping me), when I first moved to San Luis Obispo and used the kitchen to pass those lonely hours (finally getting the recipe right), when I came to San Francisco and promised myself I would do a better job of listening to my instincts (and subsequently hoarding the batch in a Tupperware and refusing to share with anyone).

I made these cookies last Saturday for a barbecue at my boss's house. Obviously, this time, I shared. And they were a hit.

Holly's Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
2 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Soften butter and mix thoroughly with sugar. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Roll dough into balls the size of large marbles and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.

No comments