Powered by Blogger.

the mark of insanity


Thursday is my cross-training day, so after work I met Jessa in the Mission to check out the new BurnSF workout -- classes that blend Pilates, weights and a ridiculous amount of jumping (I believe the official term is "plyometrics"). I found myself barefoot and attached to some very large springs, sweating profusely to Madonna dance remixes and wondering when it would be time for dinner. (Blame this on the fact that halfway through the workout, the room was overcome by the scent of toast. Torture, anyone?)

Friday is a run day, so Jessa and I hung out again. (We are both training for marathons, although she is Ms. Boston Qualifier, while I am Ms. I-Hope-I-Don't-Get-Carried-Off-On-A-Stretcher.) This time, we tackled the trails at Helen Putnam. I would like to write a letter to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors and request they rename this park "Big Bitch of a Hill That Mocks Your Pain Park." The entire first part of this run was one gigantic hill (and it sneaks up on you -- from my photo above, it looks like a gradual incline that ends at the horizon, but no, once you round the corner, the ascent continues, steeply, for probably half a mile), followed by a quick downhill and then a flat section, and then the biggest Mother Bitch of a Hill Ever. (I couldn't even run all the way up this last hill. And my breathing was so hard you could've heard me in Novato.) And we did this loop twice.

Then I worked at the wine bar until 1 a.m. (and remember, I worked my day job yesterday as well). I was so exhausted that I could barely squat down to get the bubbly out of the cooler. And you would've been seriously concerned about worker's comp if you saw me climbing up the ladder to pull bottles off of the retail wall.

So now I am hobbling around the house. I am opening a packet of something called Biofreeze (why does this remind me of an Austin Powers movie?) and rolling up my pajama pants so I can tell my calves that I really do love them, despite the abuse.

And I am realizing there is a red wine stain on my leg that runs from knee to ankle.

WTF.

No comments