Powered by Blogger.

one tasty apple


I don't know why New York is called the Big Apple, but whatever the reason, all I have to say is that it's one freaking luscious piece of fruit. I flew in yesterday with our winemaker for a media tour, and I feel like I've been eating non-stop ever since we landed.

We did a media dinner at Picholine last night. The food was pretty much fabulous. My first course was the tuna napoleon, which was thinly sliced raw tuna layered with tapioca pearls that had been fried (genius) and some olive oil ice cream on the side. My second course was medium-rare lamb with chickpea frites. My dessert was grapefruit presented three ways. And in addition to that, there was an amuse bouche, an extra fish dish (scallop), petits fours and warm raspberry crepes. And a fantastic cheese cart with the stinkiest cheeses I have ever had in my life.

Lunch today was at Sparks, and while I am not much of a red meat girl (I think this has to do with the fact that I overdid it a few years ago with a gigantic piece of prime rib in Alabama -- but that's a story for another time), I succumbed and ordered a filet mignon. Um, yeah. Filet mignon for lunch. With five different wines. Basically I was ready to pass out in my hotel room by the time the meal was over.

For dinner tonight, we went Greek at Avra, where seafood is the specialty: octopus that melts in your mouth, delicious whole sardines with lemon and herbs, a great selection of whole Greek fish (on the way to the table, we walked past a display with all of the whole fish on ice -- fabulous -- see the photo that I pulled from their website).

Anyway, I am pretty sure that I have maxed out my caloric intake for, oh, maybe the next three months.

Good thing I packed my running shoes.

No comments