Powered by Blogger.

'green' and 'alive'


Two words to describe how fiddlehead ferns taste.

I've also heard "similar to asparagus or okra."

I can't vouch for these accounts. I've never eaten a fiddlehead fern (also known as an ostrich fern, a "New England delicacy" and a young fern frond that has yet to unfurl).

(I love that word: Unfurl. Did you know they must be picked within a two-week window, before they unfurl?)

I stumbled upon fiddlehead ferns for the first time last weekend, when we played tourist at the Ferry Building.

(Kate hates them. She calls them worms. I wanted to plunge my hands into the bin.)

You can eat fiddlehead ferns raw or cooked. And they have a "very unique texture." And the recipes I've found ask for lots and lots of butter.

(And fiddlehead ferns are also called "poholes.")

No comments