Powered by Blogger.

regrets?



I lived in Virginia for two years and never once went wine-tasting. I was in grad school. I drank a lot of beer. I ate a lot of lentils because they were only 89 cents a bag and extremely easy to prepare. I didn't sleep much.

I left Virginia in 2003 and haven't used my degree since. In fact, I don't like telling people I have it because of the questions that automatically follow.

"Do you still --- ?"
"Why not --- ?"
"Will you ever --- ?"

Who knows, I don't know, I don't want to commit.

I don't want to fail.

Last night I had Virginia wine for the first time. It was a White Hall Vineyards 2003 Cab Franc, sent by a friend who also sent pictures of her writing studio, a small shed surrounded by trees with leaves that turn red and orange and gold in October. (If there is one thing I miss most about Virginia, it is the color.)

The wine was soft -- which, I believe, is characteristic of Cab Franc -- and very fruity without being jammy or overwhelming. Lots of red fruit and a long finish.

We had it with fish (yes, more fish -- and no, the wine wasn't overpowering in the least). Baked skate wing seasoned with freshly-ground pepper, fennel leaves, rosemary, thyme, sage, lemon juice, onions and roasted orange bell peppers. And there was a bed of pureed potatoes. And a side of beets with lemon chutney and herbed goat cheese.

There is something so comforting about dining at home, away from other people's eyes.

No comments