Powered by Blogger.

winter is here

We had our first real storm about two weeks ago. True, it wasn’t technically the first snow of the season (that happened in October, before Halloween), but it was the first snow that stuck.

Mouse is like, "WTF?"

And basically the ground has been covered in snow ever since.

Lake Harriet, frozen over.

I have mixed feelings. Snow is beautiful. I love the way it transforms the landscape. I love playing in it. I even love running in it.

Pro tip: I use trail shoes when it's snowy.

But I vehemently hate the ice that accompanies it -- the nasty stuff that forms when people don't clear their sidewalks and driveways, and then the snow melts a little during the day but then freezes again at night, resulting in a giant, slippery patch that will put you in concussion protocol.

And since I can never do anything in moderation, I am now obsessed with battling the evil that is head-cracking ice. I'm pretty much like Jon Snow. Except instead of the Wall, I'm in a quaint Minneapolis neighborhood. And instead of black furs and leather, I'm wearing a down coat over my bathrobe and pajamas. And instead of a fierce direwolf, I've got three orange cats who are really good at resting bitch face.


If these three don't melt the ice, I don't know what will.

No comments