adventures in moving

Friday, May 24, 2013

Since my last post (which feels like a lifetime away), I packed the cats up in a crate ...

... put the bike on the bike rack, crammed my car so full of stuff that I couldn't see out of my rear window and drove 14 hours north.

To the friends who made me a shit-ton of CDs to listen to on the drive: Thank you. And I am now officially a fan of Purity Ring, Grizzly Bear and that Fiona Apple song about being a pat of butter who loves a hot knife. (How can you not love lyrics like that?)

I arrived at my new home shortly after 11:30 p.m., unloaded the cats and the litterbox and the bike, and then passed out in a sleeping bag next to the litterbox. (Really, are you that surprised? We all know I have issues.)

When I woke up the next morning, this was the view from my deck. (If you look really, really closely, you'll see a sliver of the Puget Sound.) 

And that day was pretty much the only day I've seen sun since I've been here. But whatever. I like 50 degrees and misty. It's perfect for running. I also like how people from the Pacific Northwest complain that it's "too hot" if temperatures climb above 80. (If you know me, you know I do this all the time. Even when I was still in California. So basically every time I went to L.A., I would bitch about the weather.) 

One thing about Seattle that people don't tell you because they're too busy making dumb jokes about the rain: It's hilly as hell. I walk everywhere (yes, yesterday I even walked to work -- it's just under three miles), so most of the time I'm out of breath and my ass hurts.

I'm not kidding -- the hills are serious.

Anyway, so after being in Seattle for less than 72 hours, I got on a plane and went back to California to run Bay to Breakers.

And then I went directly from the finish line to the airport and caught a flight to D.C. for my first day of work. (To the people who sat next to me on that plane: I'm sorry. I used baby wipes, but I know they were not enough.) 

For work, we held a big Washington wine trade and media tasting at the Kennedy Center and then sponsored an event that involved lots of eating of cute animals. In sum: It was pretty much the best first day of work I have ever had. I loved everyone I met, and the wines were fantastic. I also ate a ridiculous amount of food and have no desire to eat any more lamb for a very long time.

I was supposed to fly home the following day, but I had major airline drama. (They told me the problem was weather and a "mechanical issue," but I suspect they found out how stinky I was on the flight over and just didn't want me on the plane.) So I ended up spending an extra night on the East Coast.

I finally made it back to Seattle on Wednesday. Since then, I've figured out the bus system (I literally haven't driven my car since I got back from the airport -- it's wonderful), started shopping around for a new gym (finding a pool with a good aquatics program has not been easy) and run out of office-appropriate clothing. (Thankfully, the movers arrive tomorrow with the rest of my wardrobe. I'm also looking forward to my bed -- a sleeping bag on a wood floor has been slightly less than desirable, especially when you have to share said sleeping bag with two cats that pretty much hog the whole thing.)

I've also had my first comparative tasting at work and am pretty much totally in love with this Syrah

I know, right? My life is so rough.

Dear Seattle: So far, so good. 


Cynthia said...

You have been ridiculously busy! Seattle sounds great ... we'll have to invite ourselves up to visit. Glad the move went well.

Michaela said...

Please visit! I'd love to see you! And my place here is actually normal-sized, so Aaron will fit comfortably. :)

A said...

Ahhh Seattle. <3

I don't think I ever told you this, but right out of college I packed up my car & was planning to drive to Seattle to look for work, and then a job came up in the midwest & I stayed there a bit longer before sojourning to SF.

I love Seattle & know I'll be back for more visits... and when I am, I'm giving you a ring. Also, kudos on getting all settled and sorted and moved in such a quick amount of time.


naomi said...

I love Seattle SO MUCH! Hope to be able to visit you there soon (like maybe in 3 weeks)...

Michaela said...

Alyssa and Naomi -- you are always welcome to visit! Just give me a little time to finish unpacking and get rid of the sea of cardboard in my living room. I'd love to see you both and do some running and some eating!

Nick said...

I'm glad that another friend of mine is falling in love with Syrah -- even though you moved!

Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)